Baking with Kids – The Sisterhood of the Traveling Apron

The other day, I took some time out – put everything else aside – to do some baking with my kids.

Making time for Baking

And as much as I would like to take full credit for making it a priority – I had a little help.

Blogging is such a weird world – and one that a lot of people don’t understand.    And what they really don’t understand is that the relationships you make with people you have met briefly or have never met can be some of your most treasured relationships.

Well, Meggie of Meggie on the Prarie does get that – and so she created a Sisterhood of the Traveling Apron.  With a fun apron made by Susan.

Something tangible to string us all together in the electronic world we live in.

I was blessed enough to be sent the apron from KariAnne of Thistlewood Farms – one of my most favorite people.  The apron was sent to her from Linda.

When she asked if she could send it to me – I of course quickly said yes, because I knew I would not wear it – the baker in my family would.

I knew it would be a chance to make time with my girl.  It would force us to make it priority to bake together.

Baking Cupcakes with Kids

I am not going to mislead you here – we used box mix and store bought frosting.  We had a softball game to get to – actually two.  So a box mix took off the pressure.

We did go out of our way a little – and added some sweet raspberries on top.

Raspberry Chocolate Cupcakes

Baking with Kids

I mostly just sat back and let her work through it – just to guide her.  These are the moments that they learn to be independent.

These are the moments where I battle between teaching them to fly and wanting them to curl up in my lap.

Baking with Children

These are the moments I hope she remembers.  Not that on the other side of the camera – things were messy.  That I let the mess go for a bit to make time with her.

These are the moments I know I will remember.

Cupcake Baking

And I plan to try to make more of them – with both of my girls.

For the record, Peanut chose to play outside in the sun instead of baking on this afternoon.  She much prefers cartwheels over baking.

However, she was all on board for eating the cupcakes!

So thank you ladies – for the reminder and the push.

And I will be passing the apron on to my sweet and dear friend Bonnie of Uncommon Designs.

Wishing you a beautiful day.

Comments

So good to see the apron again! I’ve been one of the lucky ‘sisters’ and it really is a fun thing to watch where the apron goes. Time baking with your daughter is wonderful! Those memories last forever!

Linda

My most vivid and special memories of my Great Grammie were of baking biscuits in her kitchen during summers on the lake. Something about baking & cooking brings people together and I’m so glad that even though you aren’t in love with baking you still get to spend time with your kids doing it :)

Love the journey of the apron! And so happy it is traveling on its journey! What a wonderful way to spend an afternoon!

blessings,
    karianne

Such a darling post with a beautiful sentiment. I miss my girls being little so much and I love seeing all my blogging friends enjoying all the priceless minutes with their beautiful children.

This is the first I have seen of the “traveling apron.” I LOVE this! My oldest and youngest would be the ones doing the baking while my middle would be outside doing the cartwheels! But, she would be first in line to eat the cupcakes! What a special time – thanks for reminding me how important these moments are! She is a beautiful girl! Life to the full! Melissa

What a wonderful post. I love the thought of the traveling apron. Peanut is adorable. My girls love to bake and my youngest loves her cartwheels. Have a great day.

Laura…I love reading about the “traveling apron”…and those are the memories that you will treasure forever…I so enjoy baking with my little granddaughter…She loves baking things and taking them home to her parents to enjoy…Cartwheels are good…especially when end with yummy cupcakes!…

Looks like you had a wonderful time together and what a confidence builder for your daughter!! It is hard to let our children kind of have free reign in the kitchen and other tasks, but that is how they learn and grow and is so necessary. The cupcakes look delicious!! The apron is adorable too. Good use of your time, Mom. It is so hard to slow down sometimes to the basics, but such a blessing when we do. Thanks for reminding us all of this!! Blessings, Linda

Hi Laura, I’m happy to see the apron on such a cute little baby sister. Also happy it provided a fun mother/daughter time. I have no problem with using a box cake. I’m going to add your post to my Traveling Sisterhood page.
    Joyous Wishes, Linda

Welcome to the sisterhood, Laura. I am pleased to meet you. It melted my heart to see that very special apron which once flew into my Miami kitchen. Blogging is very special indeed.
    Lovely assistant you share your kitchen with. :)
    Headed back to add your link to my traveling apron page.
    Much love!
    xoxo’s

Congratulations, Laura and welcome to The Sisterhood! A beautiful post….looks like the apron is holding up from all it’s travels.

What a wonderful way to enjoy the special apron! I’ve been blessed to be part of the sisterhood, too and want to welcome you! You have such a sweet family and a fun blog! I know you must be looking forward to the summer months! Sweet hugs, Diane