Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

HolidayHousewalkStop13FindingHome thumb Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

pinit fg en rect white 20 Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

Fa, la, la, la ,la – la, la, la, laaahhhhh!

It is finally one of my favorite weeks in blogging – Jennifer Rizzo’s Holiday Housewalk where I get to share all of the Christmas decorating ideas that have been forming in my head for weeks!

This is my second year participating, and just like last year, I am in the company of some incredibly talented bloggers.

If you are joining us here for the first time, I am Laura and this blog is the stories of our journey to making our home a reflection of our family – and what we find along the way.

If you are starting here, please stop by Dear Lillie, the stop before me.

Isn’t her style amazing?

dear lillie Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

And, to see the tour from the start and follow along with each stop – visit Jen Rizzo for the whole fun tour.

And without further adieu, welcome to our home!

ChristmasCowdeer thumb Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

This year I kept things simple – Reds, evergreens and touches of black and white.

And I couldn’t be happier with how it came together.

ChristmasDecoratingInspirationIdeasCollage thumb Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

But truth be told, I have my daughter to thank for most of it.

When I first explained to her what my plans were for the mantel – there were no reds.

Just greenery and white candles.

SimpleDIYChalkboardMantel thumb Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

To which she replied, “But you have to have red for Christmas”.

And as much as I loved my neutral decor last year, for this year, I had to agree.

ChristmasPillows thumb Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

And that approach carried all the way through.

ChristmasFamilyRoomDecorating thumb Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

ChristmasDecoratingIdeas thumb Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

ModernFarmhouseChristmasDecorating thumb Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

You can find all of the details on our tree here, and you can also get the details on my 1-minute DIY ornaments and my “no-painting” chalkboard ornaments – no artistic talent required!

ChristmasOrnaments thumb Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

And yes, I did cut the antlers off a plastic deer and glue them to my cow.

Doesn’t everyone do that?

DecoratingYourHomeForChristmas thumb Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

ChristmasIdeasforYourHome thumb Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

DiningRoompChristmasHutch thumb Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

Our table setting was super simple this year as well.   And again – I will be sharing more on it later this week – all the details, including resources on how to create a similar look.

ChristmasDiningRoom thumb Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

CranberryandGreeneryChristmasTablescape thumb Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

CranberryandGreeneryChristmasTable thumb Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

I kept things simple and bright in the kitchen.

The “Merry” letters are simply  chipboard letters from the craft store painted with red paint.

BrightChristmasKitchen thumb Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

DecoratingYourKitchenforChristmasFH thumb Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

FarmhouseChristmasKitchen thumb Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

ChristmasIsland thumb Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

I hung our Advent calendar on the side of the cabinet and our children have been enjoying taking out a note each morning already.

At a friend’s suggestion, I have included some “coupons”.  Their first one was a free pass to not unload the dishwasher.  They were pretty excited with that one.

ChristmasKitchenAdventCalendar thumb Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

Our table has a paper chalkboard table runner.  I used a chalk ink pen and wrote out as much of “The Night Before Christmas” as I could fit.

That is a really long poem.

ChalkboardTableRunner thumb Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

The rosemary plant from our outdoor fall decorating was brought inside and placed in a sugaring bucket with a red burlap ribbon.

RosemaryTree thumb Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

And our side table and gallery wall were updated with some simple greenery and ornaments and my collection of Christmas figurines – both new and vintage.

UpdatingyourgallerywallforChristmas thumb Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

ChristmasDecorations thumb Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

I hope you enjoyed “visiting” our home.

Still to share – or living room and entry, the office all decked out for Christmas and the newly beautiful front porch.  So make sure to stop on back.

Of course – the truth is – I also need to finish all those spaces as well.

In the meantime, you can see all of our holiday projects here – and then head on to the next stop…

Stop by to see Courtney from French Country Cottage.

Look at this kitchen!

frenchcountrycottagekitchen 704x1024 Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

I can promise you that her decorating will blow you away, she is crazy talented.

Wishing you a wonderful holiday season and happy decorating!

postsignature Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tourpinit fg en rect white 28 Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

ChristmasDecoratingIdeasHolidayHomeTour thumb Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour

share Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour
pixel Christmas Decorating Ideas: Holiday Housewalk Tour
About Laura Putnam

Welcome to Finding Home where we share our favorite DIY and decorating ideas and inspiration. We believe your home should be a reflection of you and your family. Our blog is the story of our journey - and what we find along the way. Thanks for joining us!

From Our Partners:

Comments

1. Your Holiday home is so pretty and love all the pops of red with the greenery. Beautiful table setting and all the warm touches. Happy Holidays!

2. Laura, your home looks wonderful so cheery and bright. The cow is so cute! You are always a great inspiration to me.
    Have a great day.
    Susan

3. I LOVE it, Laura! It is all beautiful. I have chosen pops of red this year too and noticed others doing the same. I guess we all like our Christmas colours. Love the antlered cow and the chalkboard table runner. You have so many great ideas! Pamela

4. I am blown away by your photography and how incredibly beautiful everything is. I LOVE your style. Such a gorgeous home, not house :-) . I cant imagine a lovelier home on the tour. My first stop has been amazing. Merry Christmas

5. Lucinda says:

You’ve given me so many ideas! I’ve been pinning away. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful home!

6. I am in love with your home….do you take reservations? I’m a great houseguest….I do dishes! lol.
    Your holiday décor is absolutely stunning….
    XO,
    Christine

7. Michelle says:

Laura it is to pretty. I love seeing your home every year for Christmas. Your home is just beautiful.

8. Your home is beautifully decorated, warm and inviting! Love the touch of red!

9. Teresa says:

Laura, your home is always one of my favorites on the Holiday House walks tour. I love the pops of red and that you mixed some vintage décor along with the new. Your table setting was so pretty yet simple and clean looking especially with the fresh greenery. I have to find out where you got those little square glass vases on the dining room table.

10. LOVE it! Doesn’t look forced just calm and like it just occurred quite naturally with our any stress at all. ;-) Over the moon for the black steer/deer.

11. Love love love love love. Did I mention I am in love?

12. Agree – every Christmas home needs a touch of red! Love the table runner!
    Kelly

13. Looks amazing Laura! I am loving your living room picture from the top! OH my it’s beautiful :)

14. Just beautiful! Your kitchen is always the star for me.

15. Laura I LOVE IT ALL!!! Your home looks beautiful all dressed for Christmas!

16. I enjoy “visiting” your home so much! I remember your decor from last year and couldn’t wait to see what you came up with this year. Truly beautiful!
    -Shelley

17. Love the small table holding the cow deer. Have been looking for something for our new house. Would you mind sharing where you got it or the manufacturer? Thanks.

18. i love it! the mantle is my favorite and i love the touches of red, too! :)

19. Laura, your home looks amazing! I LOVE the cow with the deer antlers! Your home is so pretty and welcoming! Thank you so much for opening your home and being a part of the tour!!!!

20. Joanie says:

Laura, you have such a beautiful home and everything looks very Merry and Bright. I love how you decorated your kitchen, it is perfect.

21. Laura, your Christmas home tour is so beautiful! Love the simple, traditional color scheme, and all the greenery and little touches. ~Kerri

22. Laura..I love seeing your beautiful home at Christmas…you always have the most fantastic creations…love the simple statement on the mantel….it says it all..

23. LOVE this! Absolute perfection! You totally knocked it out of the park!!!!!!

Total home run :)

Merry Christmas to you my friend!
    karianne

24. Shannon says:

That is so beautiful! Can I ask where you got the white candlesticks for the mantel? Ours is sadly narrow but think I can get candlesticks on it & yours is such an inspiration.

25. Sigh….gorgeous…simply gorgeous! Laura you amaze me and looking at the photos of your home feels like flipping the pages of my favorite magazine. You welcomed Christmas in grand style and everything is stunning!
    Vanessa

26. Beautiful home. I love pops of red, too, and the chalkboard table runner. Your pictures are amazing and so clear, and they communicate your style so well. Great job!

27. Amelia says:

Love the red–it IS necessary. Your daughter was right! :)

28. so many things i love here!!
    the family portrait featuring your legs & boots…way too cute!
    red is my favorite color & i adore all the touches!
    the chalkboard runner…slamdunk!!

29. Your home is absolutely beautiful, I love the light & how you can actually “see” everything, it’s not cluttered, it’s just right!

Am totally inspired by your Christmas table & might even steal your centrepiece ideas, love those!

LOVE the chalkboard runner, that is wonderful!

Great job on the decorating, very inspiring.

Merry Christmas from London, England :)

30. Love this Laura! So simple and incredible beautiful! The chalkboard runner is such a fun twist! I adore the chalkboard over the fireplace too!

31. Amazing as I knew it would be!! Love the collectables!! Who made them??

32. Love it! I’m partial to red and green at Christmas and you’ve made it all looks so cozy, inviting and stunning all at the same time. Also happy to know I’m not the only one still working on finishing a few areas around the house. This late Thanksgiving has me thrown for a loop! :)

33. I LOVE this! So simple and pretty. The pops of red are perfect. Love the chalkboard runner.

34. Laura,

Just gorgeous, I love all of your touches. The greenery is so pretty and your tree is so lovely.

Cynthia

35. Marie kinsella says:

BEAUTIFUL……………LOVE IT ALL.

36. Looks like we were both feeling the red and white this year! I always love your style girl and this year is no exception. Everything looks gorgeous!

37. Wow – your home is gorgeous! I am drooling over your kitchen! And I LOVE that chalkboard above your mantel. Every detail looks so beautiful. Merry Christmas!

38. Laura, Fabulous home tour!! Everything is so fresh and bright. Your family must really be enjoying your Christmas decor. I am in love with your cranberry and greenery centerpieces!!! xo Sarah

39. Amy Hoeh says:

Hello!
    What a gorgeous and inviting home. Thank you for opening the doors to us. Do you have a tutorial on the red and tan grain sack pillow that says “Happy Holidays”? I would love one in my home if it’s possible.
    Best wishes for a happy holiday season.

40. adore your home.
    the red packs an amazing punch!
    you’ve spared no detail…it’s gorgeous.

love the believe sign above the mantle.
    love the rosemary in the bucket.
    love the MERRY in your kitchen.
    LOVE it all.

41. Laura, it is SO LOVELY. All of it. What a beautiful home to spend Christmas!!! xoxo

42. What a lovely immaculately white home! The decorations are so wonderful.

43. I love your Christmas decorating! The pops of black make everything look so classy. I tried to do a totally neutral tree this year, but like your daughter said, it just didn’t feel like Christmas without some red!

44. Laura, every detail is simply gorgeous! The touches of red in the kitchen are perfection. Festive but not “too much”. I have to admit though, the Cowdeer is my favorite thing. Too cute!
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful home!

45. Well, I finally made it over here and I’m so glad I did! I could not have gone to bed with out seeing your beautiful tour and it did not disappoint!! Every bit of it is gorgeous Laura!! Great job and I’m pretty sure you’ve started a new trend with the Cowdeer (or maybe it’s a ReinCow?) and all… you know everyone is going to want one now!

46. Laura, Your home looks amazing! It looks cozy and warm~ just perfect for Christmas time. I love all your little details, they really make it special.

47. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! This is honestly my favorite of the house tours I’ve seen so far!

Anna :)

48. Tardevil says:

Please tell your daughter she is brilliant. Your home wouldn’t be the same without those touches of red! It was all gorgeous…like straight out of BH&G.

49. Love the black white and red inspiration. You did such a lovely job! Thank you so much for sharing and inspiring me!:)

50. pamela says:

Love everything about this. Love the chalk board above the fireplace and the fresh greenery in the kitchen. I would love to know where you found the measuring cup set. Beautiful home!

Happy Holidays!

51. Absolutely lovely! So many fabulous details! Merry Christmas! :-D

52. dawn@joyfulscribblings says:

Your home looks beautiful and very inviting. I love all of your Lori Mitchell figurines. I have a few Christmas ones, but I mostly collect the Halloween trick-or-treaters. I love your pillows. Where did you find them? Thanks for the tour.

53. It all looks so festive and inviting! LOVE that table runner with The Night Before Christmas! Merry Christmas! Melissa

54. connie says:

Love your décor…perfect touches of red and black(which I would not have thought to incorporate…love)!! Where did you find your two holiday pillows? I love, love those!! You have given me so many ideas!! Merry Merry Christmas!!

55. Talia says:

What a lovely holiday home you’ve made! So bright and cheery.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

56. GORGEOUS! This is seriously so inspiring, Laura! Well done + bravo! When can I move in? ;}

57. Absolutely stunning! You’re reindeer cow takes the trophy in my book! That is awesome!! Hope your holidays are merry and bright! ~~Angela

58. Absolutely gorgeous…love your house!

59. Oh my goodness, your home is fabulous all dressed for Christmas! I even saw some new spots in your home I have never seen before :) Merry Christmas to you
    XO
    Kristin

60. Anne Boykin says:

Hi Laura, Oh my! Beautiful, sweet, lovely, charming, and gorgeous come to mind when I see your home. Too much to comment on … the black, white, and red tree is just perfect! Happy Holidays!

61. Laura your home is so beautiful, I love all of your touches & seeing it all decked out for the holidays:). I want your kitchen!!! And just love that Believe sign, it is simple & perfect. Amazing tour! Happy Holidays to you & your family!
    Jen

62. So much pretty eye-candy!!!!!
    I want a ‘Codeer’ for Christmas!!!! lol

63. So so pretty, Laura! I love all the red touches in your home, it’s just perfection. You have such a great eye and all your details are wonderful. Muahhh! Miss ya and Merry Christmas to your family!

64. Such a gorgeous tour. I really enjoyed every picture. The whole house flows so nicely together.

65. The red is so perfect in your kitchen. I giggled at your antler/cow comment, it sure sounds like something I would do ! Merry Christmas to you…..

66. Oh my goodness how beautiful!! Merry Christmas!

67. I ADORE (and think it’s BRILLIANT) that you cut the antlers off your deer and glues them onto your cow!! INSPIRATION!!

68. Marisa Franca says:

Hi Laura, This is my first time visiting but I was over at Karianne’s and she said that you wouldn’t mind my company. I love your home, decorating, and your cowdeer. I pinned it and wrote that only a person with a great imagination could come up with that idea :-) Merry Christmas and I hope you don’t mind if I become a regular visitor.

69. Hi from Karianne’s! Gorgeous home and I love your sense of humor with your reindeer cow.

70. Laura I am here from Kariannes post today. What a heartfelt post that was. There really is nothing like the friendship of another woman. I fell in love with Karianne the minute I met her! She is such a sweet and kind person you both are lucky to have each other!! Merry Christmas.

71. OH my goodness! I am in love with everything Laura!! I could move into your house and be totally in decorating heaven. So my style ! Stopping by from Thistlewood today and a big hello from your wonderful friend over there! Karianne is amazing and I can see how the two of you are heart friends!

72. I just hopped over from Karianne’s, and I’m so glad I did…I love your beautiful blog and can’t wait to read more…I’m a new subscriber! Merry Christmas!

73. Here from Thistlewood and just wanted to say i will be spending the rest of the day reading everything you have ever posted and drooling over your pictures. Also I love “reindeer cow” smooches for “reindeer cow”! However now I feel bad he doesn’t have a real moniker. Is that weird? Do I need to start a petition to name him? Do you have a name already picked out? I must know, I am worried about Mr. no-name, I say Mr cause he is wearing a blue scarf and has antlers. :)

74. I am so glad Karianne introduced me to your blog! Love, love, love your decorating style – and I have to confess, I am coveting that hutch . . . and the reindeer cow . . . and that awesome thyme plant! :) I’ll be visiting again! Merry Christmas from Kentucky!

75. Nan, Odessa DE says:

RED!!!! Yes, is there any other color? So enjoyed the visit.
    Where do I buy or HOW do I make the paper chalkboard???????
    Thanks for sharing with us.
    Happy Holidays

76. Shannon says:

Merry Christmas Laura!!! I read your blog so I have seen this beautiful tour of your home, but I had to come back by and tell you how blessed you and Karianne are to have such a sweet friendship. A blog post completely about your friendship… That’s soooooo much better than a card or gift. Enjoy your Christmas!!!

77. Laura, I’ve been blogging a long time, and I know quite a few bloggers. . . but I think I’ve also been in a bit of a blogging “rut,” just visiting the same blogs over and over and not venturing out much. Today, though, I read Karianne’s post about you, and how could I not click over here? Your house looks absolutely beautiful decorated for Christmas! Your daughter was right, I think–it wouldn’t be Christmas without red! And you’ve used it just perfectly. I will be reading your regularly from now on, and I’m happy to meet you!

78. Trish says:

Got sent here by your friend at Thistlewood Farm! Gorgeous….I’ll be stopping by often!

79. Really beautiful Laura! I enjoyed your tour very much and wasn’t that just so very very nice of Karianne.
    Merry Christmas!
    Kelly

80. Rose Heath says:

Miss Laura, your talent and the peace in your heart shows through in every single touch. Your home is inviting, comfortable, liveable, peaceful, beautiful, it breathes joy! I’m glad you added the red touches and love the cowdeer with the added ‘scarf’. Do you remember the font you used to to make the “Believe” chalkboard? It has the right mix of whimscal and grace. I’d love to use it for my own creations! Thanks for letting us into your home during such a busy time of the year, and Merry Christmas to you and your family!

81. Laura, Your home is astonishingly beautiful. I love your style. I adore the chalkboard runner! Many Blessings to you and your family!

82. marylin says:

Laura, everything looks so nice. Do you know what a lucky girl you are to have that gorgeous stove – love it! Where did you find the decorative ladder you have in your living room? I often see ladders in people’s blogs but never in stores. May be more common in U.S. – I’m in Canada.

83. Rose Heath says:

Hi, I posted earlier and asked this question, but never got an answer….does anyone know the name of the font that’s used on the “Believe” chalkboard sign? I’d love to fiund out! Isn’t it beautiful???

84. Rose Heath says:

I did find where you’d given the name of the font you used for the Believe chalkboard on your mantle, and I appreciate that info. I also noticed that o the 6th, you mentioned that your family was focusing on the word during the season; that you were all going through something that was causing you to stay focused on the heart — the basis — of the season so I wll keep you and your family in my prayers that your focus is always right where it needs to be in order to see miracles from God throughout the year. God bless you and hold you near.