Christmas Mantel – Advent Calendar

Finding Home Christmas Mantel Heading wm

Last year I struggled with time and a lack of ideas for an Advent Calendar – it was something I really wanted to do.

So when I didn’t accomplish it, I decided I wanted to make it part of my mantel for this year.

And so, I began 2012 looking for a window with 24 panes.

And finally, in August – I found it –at one of my favorite local vintage haunts.

FH Christmas Mantel Advent Calendar 2

And so the window became the center point of my mantel – counting the days with a snowflake to the final day…

FH Christmas Mantel Candles

Once I had the window in place, I knew I want so stick with natural elements, greens and whites.

So I found some burlap candle holders (actually they were for fall, just pulled off the acorns and such) and filled mason jars with Epsom salt and candles (easiest idea ever and so pretty!).

Finding Home Christmas Mantel Candle wm

And I always like to pull in vintage items with a story – so I brought in my scout basket that is usually in our guest bedroom.

FH Christmas Mantel Evergreen Basket

The writing and name on it makes it perfection in my book.

Christmas Mantel Scout Basket

So I tied a burlap ribbon around it and filled it with two small evergreen potted trees and then filled in with some fake greenery.

I placed the doorknobs on skewers and set them in the dirt of the evergreens to add a little bit of sparkle.

FH Christmas Mantel Basket with greenery wm

And then I placed some additional greenery and doorknobs around it.

FH Christmas Mantel Doorknob

On the other side I added an old wooden maple bucket cover, more candles, pinecones and greenery.

I added little details like tying twine around each glass jar.

Finding Home Christmas Mantel Advent Calendar

The drawing on the maple bucket lid was already there when I found it at a garage sale – just very faint.  So I went over it with a white chalk pen so the beautiful drawing could be seen.  You may remember it from last year’s mantel – it is one of my favorite things.

Finding Home Christmas Mantel Evergreens

Later this week I will share more about how I made the window and what this little basket of envelopes is all about.

Christmas Mantel Envelope Basket wm

In front, I added a lemon cypress tree in a crock, some kindling in a burlap basket, a favorite little stool and some greenery and pinecones.

Christmas Mantel Pinecones

When the fire is still in use, I have my stove board in front – and it actually helps block some of the drafts.

Finding Home Christmas Mantel WM

The colors and the feel set the direction for the rest of the family room.  I will share more on the family room soon as well.

Christmas Mantel in Family Room wm

I am lucky enough to say that all of these pictures were taken by the lovely Eve’sWish Photography | Erin Witkowski

I am sharing at:

Funky Junk Interiors

The Lettered Cottage
Christmas mantel Link Party

Thanks so much for reading.

Comments

Beautiful! I love the big window, I have some but none with 24 panes. Love all the natural elements, your room is amazing and so is the photography.

2. Suzanne says

Sooooooo gorgeous!!! If you are not a professional interior designer or decorator, you SHOULD BE!!! I would be surprised if you are not asked to soon publish a book filled with all of your very clever, beautiful, and sassy interior design ideas. You are top notch! I would definitely place that book proudly on my cocktail table.

Laura – it is just beautiful. How awesome that you found the PERFECT vintage window. I love the basket of greens with the old glass doorknobs, but that final shot of your whole room is just picture perfect. Love it.

4. Michelle says

It is always fun seeing what you do each year for your holiday decor. I love the vintage door knobs with the evergreen’s as well. The whole room is beautiful. It’s so homey and cozy (as always :) ) I love all the natural light from your two story windows.

Love the advent calander and that basket filled with the greens is just darling. I love the wood plaque on the bottom in front, beautiful

Cynthia

6. Anne Boykin says

Hi Laura, Wow, everything is so lovely! What a beautiful room! You really have great taste and I just love the scout basket. The door knobs are a great addition too.

7. Donna says

Hi,just found your blog from The Old Painted cottage. I love your house and decorating. It’s beautiful ! Would you mind if I asked you where you found both of your sofas,. Love the colors. Also, do you know the name of the wallpaper in the room with the tan sofa? Looking forward to seeing more of your blog. Also I forgot to mention your dining room. I love boxwoods and the table and black hutch. Gorgeous! Have a wonderful evening.

LOVE! i want a window like that SO bad. I need to call some of the vendors down at restoration emporium and have them be scouting for me. I love Karianne’s chalkboard one too!
    it really does look so professional – i just love your cozy home.
    happy Wednesday friend:)
    xo

You will probably recognise some or all of these as some as used more
    than others with very great success in carp baits:
    . For instance at a time when anglers where sticking rigidly to the mantra of
    3 to 5 milliliters of flavour, plus 1 to 2 milliliters of intense sweetener to a pound of base mix or more, as
    measured by 4 large eggs or 6 medium eggs as a basis
    of measurement, I tried other approaches and reaped big rewards against much more experienced anglers.
    But have you ever thought about living in your boat full time.

Arrest their attention by using rich colors and well defined graphics.
    If you are not producing successful social media campaigns then you are basically talking to a
    wall or to yourself. To really master social media marketing, it’s important to have both books, instead of just one.