Decorating Ideas: Vintage Door Plate Wall

Vintage-Door-Plate-Wall-from-Finding-Home

After all the Christmas decorations came down, I have left most of the home un-decorated and simple.

Vintage-Door-Plate-Wall

But, slowly, I have been pulling together a corner at a time – and this week, I worked on a corner in our dining room by creating a vintage door plate wall.

Vintage-Door-Plate-Wall-Dining-Room

I used French cleats to hang the door and an assortment of methods for hanging the plates.  But honestly, the hardest part was picking the plates.  I originally thought I was going to do a more formal display with transferware.  As I started to pull it together, I found myself gravitating towards the more quirky options.

Hence, the odd little fish glue to the white plate…

Quirky-Fish-Plate

It reminds me of a good friend, and makes me giggle – and isn’t that what we should do in our homes?

Oh, and there is a cow.

How now brown cow?

How-Now-Brown-Cow

And yes, there is a hand under the door knob.

Vintage-Door-Plate-Wall-Decorating-Idea

I kind of love the way the door creates more presence in this corner.  The table was already there, but I painted it green.  The space was too small for a hutch to fit and the heater sticks out so that nothing solid works there.

Plate-Wall-Decorating-Ideas

The table was barely noticeable before, and now it is the perfect color to pull it together.  Actually, when I posted the picture on Instagram before I painted it, my sister asked me where it was.  I told her where it had been, for years, she had never noticed it.

It is painted with Vintage Market & Design furniture paint in Moss and topped with the brown ocher wax.  I purchased it locally, but they can be found here.

Green-Chalky-Painted-Table

A little paint can make a big difference.

And it makes for the perfect little spot to pull together a vignette in the dining room.

A stack of brown transferware…

Table-Vignette

A chicken wire cloche on a cake stand – with a plant and a shoe form.

Chicken-Wire-Cloche

Table-Tray-Vignette

Its a bright little spot in our dining room…

Dining-Room-Decorating

…and a little reminder that it’s okay.

Its-Okay-Plate

If you are wondering where I got the plates from – it is a mixture of Marshalls, Homegoods, TJ Maxx and ones I already had.  The “It’s okay” is from Anthropologie.  It is not available now, but they have some great options now.

Have you ever done a plate wall?

If you would like to see more decorating projects, you can see them here

Comments

1. Marisa Franca says

Laura how clever!! And I have to admit beforehand, if that top plate ever goes missing – ahem – you don’t have to look too far. I would love to find one like it. It has the Tuscan feel that I’m going after and it has the aqua color that we inherited with this house. The aqua is a color that I wouldn’t necessarily have put in the house but it is one that would be almost impossible to change unless we’d gut the kitchen. So I’m learning to live with it but I simply love the color and design of the plate :-)

I love this! It is a really sweet idea. I also love the newly painted table and the lovely tray vignette on it. It works perfectly in front of the door/plate display. Have a great day!

3. Lisa~A Cottage To Me says

I love the whimsy of your door! A bit of a conversation wall as you sit in your dining room!

4. Michelle says

I love this what a great idea. I love the patina of the wood mixed with the quirky plates (the odd fish one is my favorite) and the color you painted the table pulls it all together. I hope you share the paint and color you used. It is beautiful.
    I have never done a plate wall but last weekend I hung a series of pictures on an old door. I have it leaning against a wall in our basement. My husband thought it was a clever idea to put the pictures on the door instead of the wall. Since I’m forever changing my mind I can change the pictures whenever I fell the need to move things around.
    Hope you are staying warm. Have a great day.

This is such a charming area,Laura! It’ has such a fun cottage, worn and loved look. Great idea! And I agree, a little paint is like a major decorating facelift! Wonderful!

I love a plate wall. I’ve not gotten up the nerve to do more than a triple plate rack, but if I had a “How now brown cow” plate? It would totally go on the wall. :) I’m pretty simple post-Christmas. Honestly, I have a table in my living room that I can’t for the life of me remember what I had BEFORE Christmas! Lol!

I absolutely LOVE this Laura! It looks so beautiful and I think it was so clever to put a fresh spin on the traditional plate wall. You knocked it out of the park my friend! :-)

8. Suzi says

Swoon. I love plate walls in general but this one kicks it up a few notches. Somehow you manage to pull in the vintage and make it fresh and modern at the same time. You got skills!

laura – it’s perfect! makes me want to go thrifting for plates! my kids really need to get back to school…all these snow days are not good for my growing list of projects! thanks for the beautiful inspiration! sharing on FB now!

xo – kristi

10. Dee says

Love the silver deer head on top where did you get that? I want that and the deer plate LOL. What are french cleats never heard of them and were would one get them. It looks great and if you change it up please post.

I love the vignette, so charming. I was just contemplating hanging plates, I think you have definitely pushed me off the fence, to the “I can do this” side! Thank you for sharing.

What a fun, beautiful space. I love displaying collections! Thanks so much for sharing. Your home is gorgeous! Enjoy your weekend!