DIY Desks from Vintage Doors

DIY Desks from Old Doors

Some men bring home jewelry for their wives.

My husband, brings home old doors – and I am so glad.

DIY Vintage Door Desk

Many years ago, Dana was driving past Drewsville General Store in NH, just an ordinary day.  And then he saw them – four perfectly old and chippy doors – each for $1 – and he scooped them up.

Vintage Door into a Desk

But the problem was – they were in NH.  But one day (we are debating if my father-in-law brought them down in his pick-up or his brother brought them down when he drove down Dana’s John Deere Tractor), they made it to NY.

Vintage Door Desk

And they sat.  For a very long time.

And one day, I had a great idea for a project and I quickly ran to get them from the side of the garage, from under the tarps.

And then I realized that was also where the snakes were cooling themselves for their summer.

So, I decided my idea really wasn’t that good.

Build a Desk from a Door

They were eventually moved into garage, away from the snakes, and I knew I wanted to use two of them to make into our desks.  They seemed too big for the office and I just didn’t know how to make it work.

But then my handsome and sweet husband figured out we could cut them down with a circular saw to the perfect size for our office.

See, the snakes prevented me from using them earlier so they could be use for their true destiny!

Vintage Door Desk

And so we cut them down, power washed them, sanded them and then coated and buffed them with Annie Sloan dark wax.  And then we added these legs (which can be ordered online!) and topped it with a sheet of quarter inch glass ordered through a local glass cutter.

Pictures under glass on door desk

And in the process of pulling everything together I have also been really organizing my craft supplies.  Now, all of my favorite paint pens, fancy markers, paint brushes and colored pencils are right on my desk where I can easily use them.

All that and a spot for my phone.

Vintage Galvanized Caddy

And it is bright and colorful and makes me happy.

Galvanized Desk Caddy

And the best news is you too can get your own caddy from our sidebar sponsor Farmhouse Wares (there is a discount code below).  And there are so many uses – plants, flowers, silverware and napkins for a party, drinks, guest bathroom necessities or craft project organizers.

galvanized-caddy-with-plants

They also sell these amazing baskets perfect for office, pantry or living room organization…

rustic-wire-baskets

…and this caddy is perfect for your kitchen counter or craft room…

vintage-style-industrial-bin

And speaking of your kitchen, could these measuring cups be any sweeter?

stoneware-measuring-cup-set

You can use them to bake your pie and then serve it in this amazing galvanized tin stand.

galvanized-tin-pedestal

Now through 8/2/13 use code fh713 for 15% off your total order!

Last time we ran a discount with Farmhouse Wares it was only for that item, but this time it is off your total order – you are sure to find plenty of things that you love!

Sharing at Savvy Southern Style and Funky Junk Interiors

Disclosure: The caddy was provided to me by our sidebar sponsor, but all opinions and colorful cuteness are my own.

Comments

Laura I also have old doors as my desk in my office. I put mine in an “L” Shape around the room and I used glass on top too. I have all my small little treasures under the glass… I love mine and yours is fabulous too!
    Susan

Laura, I’m so jealous! I’d love to do something just like that for a room we have upstairs. I’ve saved a spot for a project table and I love the old and new look you have going there. Thanks for the link to the legs. I’ll be on the lookout for doors…which I’m sure will be more than $1.00 cuz that’s my luck.

LOVE THESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously! Cutest project EVER!!!!!!!!!!!! And those IKEA legs make all the difference!

Happy day to you!
    karianne

Totally LOVE those door desks! And, how amazing that you can order those legs online!? Perfect! My 9 year old daughter got a real cash register for her birthday (Grandparents!) And, now she wants a countertop. I have some old doors on my front porch! I might just have to borrow this idea! Life to the full! Melissa

Laura, The desks are awesome! I could so picture myself hanging out in that room. I love all the paint brushes and pencils stored so perfectly in the caddy. Super job!
    Susan

Love this idea! I have an old door that is sitting outside too just waiting for some love…crossing my fingers I don’t have the snakes too :) Totally going to check out the fun kitchen caddys next!

I love your glass topped vintage doors. I also used doors for my craft table tops (new and not as nice, but they sure work well!) I also love your sponsor’s galvanized goodness and especially your craft caddy. I shared your post on Friday Finds today. Thanks, and have a great weekend!

These desks are adorable- so much character! I love them. My hubby surprised me once and brought home a pallet and I was in love with him all over- who needs stinkn’ flowers when they can bring stuff like old doors and pallets :)

I just wanted to let you know that I featured your wonderful project on homework. Thanks so much for sharing it on The Inspiration Board. Have a great weekend!

carolyn
    homework &
    DETAILS

10. Meghan says

I’ve had an old door sitting around for several years – this couldn’t be a better way to put it to use! Can I ask where you found the fililng cabinets? Some drawer space would be handy (necessary!) since there’s none on the desk.

Cheers! M

Laura, my husband and I making a table like yours. He’s wondering about the stability of the table with the heavy solid door. Our door is pretty large and we may need to cut it down. Do you know the dimensions of your door? Also, when you used the Ikea legs, did you have to modify the way the leg was mounted to the table at all?

Stacey
    snskee@aol.com

Heya this is kind of of off topic but I was wondering if blogs use WYSIWYG editors
    or if you have to manually code with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding experience so
    I wanted to get advice from someone with experience. Any
    help would be enormously appreciated!

Pretty great post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished
    to mention that I’ve really loved browsing your blog posts.
    After all I’ll be subscribing for your feed
    and I hope you write once more soon!