Finding: Lessons From My Children

We have all heard the saying as parents – “They don’t come with an owner’s manual!”.

And it is true, we worry.  How do I burp her right?  Is she warm enough?  What do you dress a baby in that is born in the middle of a heat wave – do you swaddle or not swaddle?

But as overwhelming as those decisions are, we realize with time, that those are, unfortunately, the easy decisions.

The time when we really could use that owners’ manual is when they go out into the world and they need to make decisions without us.

Those are the things that keep me awake at night.

Peanut Signing

This girl, my Peanut, has been trying to “find her place” for a few years now, to find her confidence and her strength.

And I have worried and fretted.  I have read and asked and seeked and prayed.   And sometimes I have gotten very specific answers, but she has taught me…

..the answers are not with me, they are with her and with Him.

Peanut being evil!

I am learning that it is still my job to pray, talk, explain, give examples, provide ideas and guide.

But, it is her job to figure it out.  And that just like we learned from our mistakes, so will she.

And it is my job to be here at each turn.

She won’t always get it right.

But sometimes – she will shine her light so bright it will bring tears to your eyes.

Peanut Celebrating

Sometimes, she will work hard, really really hard.  She will practice and memorize and (the hardest part) make herself vulnerable enough to give it her all.

And sometimes, it all just comes together and she gets the opportunity to feel the satisfaction of the hard work paying off.

Sometimes she just gets to feel JOY.

Peanut

And the next day, she is no longer the Wicked Stepsister or the Evil Queen.

There is no more stage makeup or costumes or lines to memorize.

The next day she is just your Peanut – and that is more than enough.

And you start the next part of the journey, which ever way it takes us.

Blessings to you all and thanks for reading!

Oh, and I would love if you stopped by to see Debbiedoo’s today.  She is sharing a tour of my home and she is quite the lovely hostess!

Comments

1. Candace Bertalan Horner says

What a lovely story, brought tears to my eyes! Yes raising your children has such rich moments as we watch them learn to make their own little way in the world..! Your daughter is so lovely!!!

2. karen says

What joy she (and you) must have felt…..you can see it in her eyes. The hardest part for me as a parent was watching them make the mistakes or the right decisions and stepping back and let it happen knowing they had to do it so they could become the people they were meant to be…..

Laura, you’ve spoken the universal mom-struggle. My daughters are 9, 15-1/2 and 21 (married!) and I know these feelings all too well! It all comes down to trusting Him, doesn’t it? So hard and so beautiful. Thanks for sharing your heart and your photos of your gorgeous young lady!

Jeanette @ Creating a Life

4. Lisa says

Love her sooo much! You are an incredible, mother, sister and friend!
    Love you always… Me

You so get it and so does she….you are an incredible person chosen just for her to be the perfect mom for her. Great plans await her and God will guide you both! Love you girl and she looks like she was amazing and had the time of her life!! ;)

Perfect Laura! So perfect. My nearly 8 year old is heading into this part of his life and I’m learning to let him figure it out. Its so hard as a parent because you want to be there and help them all the time, but just as we had to find our way, so do our precious babies. And Peanut looks so confident and pretty !!! xx Nat

It is such an amazing privilege to see your baby bird fly from the nest.

And the true joy? She didn’t falter. She didn’t look down. She didn’t simply coast.

She soared. :)

Have a blessed and incredible weekend!
    karianne

this brings tears laura…so beautifully said
    she is a doll! oh i am always reminded how fast they grow
    looks like she shone that night:)))
    xo

Oh how proud you must be….and she looks so pretty and very confident on stage…Watch out Broadway!!….You give them love and guidance through their growing years…and when they leave the nest…that love and guidance never ceases…

Hello! I know this is kinda off topic but Iwas wondering which blog ploatform
    arre you using for this website? I’m getting fed
    up off WordPress because I’ve had problems with hackers and I’m looking at options for anoher platform.
    I would be grreat if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.