Front Porch Makeover on a Budget

FrontPorchMakeoverFindingHome thumb Front Porch Makeover on a Budget

***Update – After the winter and some time inspecting this project, we have found that there were some issues with the application and it did not weather well.  We have decided to remove the product and come up with a new solution.  We think we may have done it much too late in the season and it did not have enough time to cure in warmer weather.  We loved the way the product looked and if we had a rougher surface, it would have been perfect to cover damaged wood.  Hopefully this update helps you decide what is the best solution for you.  If you decide to use the product, please read all instructions carefully. ***

We have had a lot of home improvement projects going on at once.  The office and craft room are done, and now – the front porch makeover on a budget is done too!

This one, like my work desk – was all hubby.

I should let you know up front – this is not a “tutorial” – this whole project was done with trial and error and figuring it out along the way.

And we are so happy with the results.

FrontPorchMakeover thumb Front Porch Makeover on a Budget

I would love to show you a recent before picture with the railings still on, but the truth is, one day, Hubby got a bug in his bonnet and knocked off the railings before I could take a picture.

This picture was taken a few years ago.  The railings had deteriorated quite a bit, but the biggest issue was that the porch was just so small.  With the chairs, we couldn’t even get by.

frontporchbefore thumb Front Porch Makeover on a Budget

Because we have the rock wall and raised bed, there really was no need for them – so off they came and the makeover began!

We also removed that overgrown lilac on the left that never bloomed and was higher than the roof.  We will be reworking the plants and beds in the spring.  The rock wall has settled over the past 13 years as well – hubby built when we first moved in – but that is on the agenda to be reworked as well.

FrontPorchMakeoverRestore thumb Front Porch Makeover on a Budget

Here are the floors of the porch before.  I didn’t like the color we put on there several years ago – and I liked it even less with it faded.

PorchFlooringBefore thumb Front Porch Makeover on a Budget

Thanks to ReStore from Rust-Oleum (purchased at The Home Depot) in Taupe, these are our floors now.

I. Am. Giddy.

The process was fairly simple and we are very happy with the results.

IMG 0777 thumb Front Porch Makeover on a Budget

These were the posts before.

postbefore thumb Front Porch Makeover on a Budget

This was a symptom of a bigger problem – the porch had settled significantly and was no longer level.  As a result, several of the posts were no longer even taking the weight of the roof.

Bad news.

Hubby jacked up the deck in two places and stabilized it old school – with stones.  We have no shortage of stones in these parts.

Once he got everything level it became clear that the porch stairs were never built correctly and should have been three steps instead of two.

FrontPorchStairsBefore thumb Front Porch Makeover on a Budget

This is the new beautiful layered molding at the base of the same posts, re-stained with opaque stain – and actually taking the weight of the roof.

That is a good thing.

FrontPorchMoldings thumb Front Porch Makeover on a Budget

When building new stairs, we decided to build new railings in a simpler style.

This a picture of our before post and railing.

PorchRailingBefore thumb Front Porch Makeover on a Budget

These are our new posts and railings.  So pretty!

FrontPorchRalings thumb Front Porch Makeover on a Budget

When we got to the back, it was a big drop, so we left the railing.  One day, while walking around from the back, we both realized how great and logical it would be if there were stairs here too.

At first, we scrapped it for the spring just to get done with the project.

backrailingbefore thumb Front Porch Makeover on a Budget

But, while I was away at The Chapel Market, hubby was busy and I came home to this.

FrontPorchStairsMakeover thumb Front Porch Makeover on a Budget

It makes such a difference in the usability of the porch.  And while standing there, I realized one of my dreams could come true.

A porch swing will be in my future.

FrontPorchStairs thumb Front Porch Makeover on a Budget

I want to thank hubby for all the staining, building and good old fashioned elbow grease he put into this project.

PostSanding thumb Front Porch Makeover on a Budget

It is now such an inviting place and we how have an entry where we can proudly invite guests into our homes.

UpdatedFrontPorch thumb Front Porch Makeover on a Budget

Last year, we had priced out having someone come and put in all new posts and flooring.  That would have been great, and easy.  But this approach allowed us to do this project for the costs of lumber, paint and sweat equity.  We were provided the ReStore product, but even if we hadn’t, it is a small investment compared to replacing the flooring – especially with no maintenance products we had been looking at.

For this stage of our lives, it felt really good to do this ourselves.

Ok, I did nothing but offer opinions, but you get the idea.

FrontEntranceMakeover thumb Front Porch Makeover on a Budget

Thanks so much for reading and have a great day!

FrontPorchMakeoverFromFindingHome thumb Front Porch Makeover on a Budget

pinit fg en rect gray 20 Front Porch Makeover on a Budget

postsignature Front Porch Makeover on a BudgetDisclosure: I was provided the Restore product from Rust-Oleum – however, all opinions and thoughts are my own.

share Front Porch Makeover on a Budget
pixel Front Porch Makeover on a Budget
About Finding Home

Welcome to Finding Home where we share our favorite DIY and decorating ideas and inspiration. We believe your home should be a reflection of you and your family. Our blog is the story of our journey - and what we find along the way. Thanks for joining us!

Comments

1. Beautiful Laura…your hubby did a great job…I love your porch!

2. Wendy says:

Your husband did a beautiful job! Your porch is so inviting now, it just calls you in. Thank you for sharing.

3. Michelle says:

It looks so good!! I like how it looks with the railing gone and the added stairs at the back. It is so nice to have a hubby who knows how to do all of that. Last year, we redid our tiny porch and installed a sprinkler system. This past summer, we torn the railing and decking off the deck and replaced with cedar vs. the green treated lumber that was there originally. I love it.

4. Love all your posts, Laura! What a lovely transformation to your front porch and extra special that your husband did it. You have great opinions, too.

5. what a great guy you’ve got there! it looks so beautiful. but to be fair to the saggy porch, we have all settled a bit the last thirteen years ;-)

6. Laura, your front porch looks amazing without the railings. They really weren’t needed and it looks much more open yet you still have the plantings in the raised bed to give a bit of privacy. Great idea to add the steps at the far end too! Your husband did a great job!

7. Great work!! I really love the rock wall surrounding your flowerbed. Our ongoing winter project is getting the yard ready for spring plantings, and one thing to tackle is the front bed. Love it!

8. What a beautiful, satisfying makeover! Congrats on a job well done.

9. Looks fantastic, Laura! What a talented husband you have – lucky girl!

10. Emilou says:

How wonderful for you all. “Super job” to your honey. I love the new look!!! Blessings and smiles, Emilou :-)

11. Teresa says:

The front porch “redo” looks wonderful and I can believe how much bigger and open it looks now. Your hubby did a great job! We had a front porch redo this summer by accident when my husband leaned on the one of the railings and it gave way due to some rot. Thankfully, the azalea bush broke his fall and got the worst end of the deal. Because our front porch has more height we would have opted to leave off the railings as well.

12. Okay, I totally started laughing when you said your hubby got a “bug in his bonnet.” That is so my husband, too! He can be sitting around totally relaxed and then he’s on go and it’s on! He is FINALLY allowing me to say “pose” in the middle of the process so I can at least get a couple of shots for his tutorials. I won’t tell you how long it took that to happen!

Your porch looks amazing and kudos to your hubby. What a blessing DIY hubbies are! We had 2 trees taken down in our front bed and are going to have a deck built on the front, probably by said hubby. We’re in discussion mode at the moment! Hope ours turns out as well as yours.

13. Laura your husband did a great job, love the changes!

Cynthia

14. Laura, I love the porch renovation, especially the new railings and posts. A porch swing would be a great addition!

15. jenna says:

The porch looks great and actually much larger! Job well done :-)

16. Wow..what a difference..You should go away more often:) Your hubby does great work..I never had a “handy” husband..
    Your porch is beautiful…

17. Wow! What a transformation. Love it!

18. angela says:

love what you did. i did our back deck with Rust-Oleum Restore and i love it. it was alot of work but we will be able to use it next year.

19. Peggy says:

Looks great. I also have a DIY hubby, It can be a wonderful thing and then again….the projects never stop. Love the fact that he worked all around the beautiful fall decorations!

20. What a great transformation! Love the colours you picked!

21. The porch looks wonderful Laura! It looks so open and inviting. A swing will be the perfect addition.

22. Your porch is so pretty! The details make such a big difference. You two are a wonderful design/build team : )

23. It’s wonderful! Y’all have the charm factor down to a T :) xo, Andrea

24. Your porch is lovely. We moved into a house a couple of years ago with a big Southern porch—but no rails. At first it bugged me, but the more we used it, the more I liked it. You are right, it is so much more inviting. It is open and fresh. And best of all, it is so much fun to decorate, because I know that everyone can see the entire porch! Your Hubs did a terrific job. Lori Lucas

25. Linda says:

I like the modern clean lines the porch redo with railing etc. Nice job, gives a new and modern curb appeal. could I borrow your hubby and have him build me a porch:) My home does not have a porch and when rain comes so does the wet, muddy feet. Hard to get everything off before entering and getting shoes off.:) You and your husband did a great job :)

26. Laura, the new porch design is beautiful. Dana did an incredible job! Guess this means it comes in handy to have a
    good DIY hubby around. But, since some of us don’t have one of those, would you consider hiring him out?!?
    Diane

27. Shannon says:

This is SO SO pretty. Our porch is similar in that its too narrow to put chairs on the front & still get around. I’ve thought about removing the railings but hubby couldn’t visualize it. Your pictures will help SO much.

28. Hi! Found this post on Pinterest. Do you happen to know the color your house was painted? Love the color – thank you!