How to Make Homemade Goats Milk Soap (Recipe)

Tutorial - How to make homemade goats milk soap from Finding Home (findinghomeonline.com)

Since Mother’s Day is near and I think this is a perfect gift idea – I thought I would bring back one of my all time favorite project – sharing with you how I made homemade goats milk soap.

But first, I have to make a confession.

I am a scent snob.

I try not to be, but it is true.

I bring home all kind of things that smell yummy in the store, but when I get home…, well my sister always gets them.

But there are two scents I love always.

Lemon Verbena and Lavender.

And if they are mixed – even better.

So I decided I would try my hand at making my own soap – in my favorite scents.

And if it is going to smelly yummy, it may as well feel yummy too, so I made it with goats milk soap ingredients.

And it could not have been any easier.

To start with here is what you need:

Goats Milk Soap Suspension formula, soap fragrance of your choice and soap molds.

I chose to also use a soap stamp to make them pretty and added dried lavender for more scent and prettiness.

I found all of my ingredients and supplies at a major craft store.

Step 1:

Cut the soap formula into smaller squares and place it in a microwavable container with a spout.  Microwave for about 40 seconds and then keep adding in 10 second increments until it is melted.  I used a spoon to mix along the way.  (be sure to check the timing on melting on your product as it may differ from mine).

Step 2:

Add a few drops of scented oil and lavender (optional).  I kept adding and stirring until it smelled to the level of scent I wanted.

Step 3:

Add a small amount of the mixture into the mold to adhere the stamp to the bottom – with the pattern facing up.

Step 4:

Fill the molds to the desired depth.  Make sure you are working on a flat surface to that it will set-up flat.

Step 5:

Wait.  In about 40 minutes it should be set up.  I put mine in the fridge once it was most of the way set to speed the process.  Slowly pull away the sides of the mold from the soap and begin to pry away the bottom.  To remove the pattern stamp, I used a knife to cut the edge from the soap and carefully pried it off.

As you can see, the added lavender floats to the top of the mold, which is the bottom of the soap.

And that is it – now you have custom homemade goats milk soap.

Add some twine, some lavender sprigs and place them in a pretty container – and you have a perfect gift.

And if you really want to make it a special gift – you could another bath related item.

Update – I would also wrap the soaps in either paper or a pretty plastic bag to keep it from turning color.

I love the simple and utilitarian design of these wooden toothbrushes.  And they are each numbered to remind you when to change or to keep from confusion between family members as to who’s toothbrush is who’s.

Thanks so much for reading and happy soap making!

Shop-Button_edited-1

Comments

1. Aingeal says

So going to try this! Have you tried lemongrass? I love just being near the bathroom when someone is using lemongrass soap! Love the toothbrushes too!

I am such a fan of verbena and lavender..the perfect combination of scents…these soaps are beautiful…Such a wonderful gift for Mother’s Day…will be off to the craft store for these supplies!!…and the toothbrushes are a great compliment…..love the numbers on them!

OK…I think you’ve convinced me that I can do this! It sounds pretty easy and I know my mom and aunt would love this. I’m hosting Mother’s Day brunch this year and these would be perfect to hand out as little extra gifts. Thanks so much for the tutorial. :)

I’ve always been interested in soap making, even have a few books on it but was always just a bit (A LOT) intimidated! But you make it look entirely do-able!! I am gonna try it soon, thanks! AND your pics of the process are so pretty too! I’m a messy crafter, finished products are usually o.k. but boy the process isn’t! Anyway I’d love those adorable toothbrushes for my farmhouse bath, too cute!!

Thanks for turning me on to that great Pinterest Board, love it and Following them http://pinterest.com/BarnCandy/

5. Wendy says

The soap looks wonderful and I’m sure smells even better! What pretty toothbrushes. Thanks for the chance. :)

This is such a neat idea. The soap would make such a beautiful gift or look fabulous in a guest bathroom!

Today, I am starting a social media blog hop with 5 other ladies I met at Snap Conference. Each week features a new social media link up starting with Facebook today. I hope you will come over to link up at Just Us Four!

7. Charlene Wheeler says

Lovely items, the soaps are beautiful. I’ve never seen toothbrushes like this before! Amazing

Super cute homemade soaps! I’m a scent snob but only because I suffer from severe allergies so I can only tollerate a few scents. Lemon and Lavender just happen to work for me!

9. Jo says

Thank you. I’ve never made soaps but you make it look easy, beautiful, and aromatic! I am wondering where you got that wonderful white container that resembles a berry box in your pics?

10. Patty says

Have you tried lilac scent? I just bought some lilac essential oils to use in some homemade carpet freshener. it reminds me of when I was little and played house in the huge lilac bush at my grandma’s.

can you tell me where you purchased the base and molds? i searched the craft sites so i don’t have to drive around and came up with nothing!

thank you!

This isn’t a recipe for making homemade goat milk soap. It’s a formula for how to melt a simple soap, add something to make it smell or look good and pour into forms. You can grab any old bar of plain soap and do this; you don’t need the suspension formula.

I was looking for an actual recipe to mix real goat’s milk and lye and other things to make soap from scratch.

13. Cathy Claus says

Hi Laura! I LOVE your blog! when i see your pics i just want to come over plop down with a nice hot cup of tea! I was wondering how many bars of soap one package of the Goat’s milk makes. Is the brand Life of the Party? These would make adorable favors for my daughter’s shower in June! :) thanks!

Just landed on this page and found the idea of gluing a pattern to the bottom of the mold with soap to be an excellent idea. Seems so simple, yet I never thought of that. Thanks.

1. […] for the first time. Shower gel is all very well and good, but I like a bit of luxury. I found this recipe, which uses a goat’s milk base and decided to have a go. I’m going to scent them with […]