The concept of a savory jelly was one I never really understood. Wasn’t a jelly something that went with peanut butter? And the biggest problem with that is I don’t like peanut butter.
But once, at a party, I tried a pepper jelly and I was intrigued.
Specifically peppadew peppers.
So I did some tweaking, combining and came up with this yummy recipe.
- 1 lb. of bacon
- 1 onion
- 1 Tbsp. of minced garlic
- 1/2 cup of maple syrup
- 3/4 cup of brewed coffee
- 10 oz. jar of peppadew peppers (I used all but about 4 of them)
- Cook the bacon in a pan
- Remove the bacon, drain on a paper towel
- Pour off all but about 1 tsp of oil from bacon
- Saute onions till clear
- Add in garlic, syrup, coffee and peppers saute for about 10 minutes
- Remove from stove
- Crumble bacon and add to mixture
- Place all in a blender of food processor. I chopped everything smaller but didn’t emulsify it.
- Cook in a sauce pan on simmer for about 2 hours
- Place in a jar and refrigerate
- Can be rewarmed to serve
I served it over crusty bread with a scoop of goat cheese. And this morning, I had it with my egg – yum.
If you would like to see other recipe with maple syrup there is:
Thanks so much for reading.